Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Burn Baby Burn...

Start of another week. I hope everyone enjoyed the holiday weekend. I spent 2 days eating and drinking some awesome food and wine. The heat was BRUTAL and it still hasn't let up. While mostly everyone spent Monday recovering from the weekend, I had to be at work bright and early. Not fun times. This weekend I was reminded just how much I love food and cooking...not that I need to really be reminded. Sometimes I think that I missed my calling in life. Maybe I should've gone to culinary school, but then I'm reminded that I hate fish and the thought of cooking it or worse having to clean it makes me gag. Not to mention the idea of being in a hot kitchen all day does not sit well with someone like me who gets warm very easily. And the restaurant business has some of the worst hours EVER and I'm more of a day time person anyway. I got some major kudos on the food I made for the weekend which made me feel good. I have been blessed enough to inherit a cooking gene AND a baking gene so I'm more well-rounded in the kitchen. However, sometimes I feel like everyone on the "cooking" side of the family only acknowledges my baking and it's forgotten that I can cook. Don't get me wrong, I still have a lot to learn on the cooking end since this family sets the bar so incredibly high, but I don't like being viewed as one dimensional. I really enjoy both. Some people can't stand the exact science aspect of baking while others don't like the demands of cooking. Personally, I enjoy both. I like knowing I made a killer dinner, but I also like knowing that my dessert is complimenting a meal. This is also why being around food all day would not be a good idea.

In an effort to detox from the weekend, I decided against doing my heavy lifting program today and went with some cardio. It was over 100 degrees today and going into the gym already sweating and then getting on an eliptical and treadmill was probably not the best idea, but it had to be done. I also did two sets of four ab exercises before heading home. Thursday I can heavy lift so at least I'll get it in this week. I know that cardio is going to help me reach my goal it's just soooo boring! I contemplated going on the stair master but then I thought to myself... what's the point of all that climbing and getting nowhere after ten minutes of sweating like a beast? Sure, you don't really get anywhere on a treadmill or on the eliptical but you're looking out straight and can kinda picture whatever you want. I always picture the beach in Wildwood...that's about the only thing that keeps me going.

My food was relatively good today. I made eggs for breakfast, made sure to have a yogurt at 10:30 this morning. Lunch was turkey on whole wheat with lettuce, tomato and mayo. I did have a square of chocolate espresso bar that I made and some fruit before the gym. For dinner I made chicken on the bone with some mozzarella and prosciutto, had some eggplant, and a couple forkfuls of pasta. I fought the urge to eat a piece of the caramel/chocolate covered apple that my mom got from Rocky Mountain Candy Store and opted for a yogurt instead.

Sugar is my drug. I LOVE sugar. I can't even imagine being diabetic and having to be without it. I can remember being a kid and eating Pixie Sticks...the rolled up paper filled with sugar. Don't even get me started on Fun Dip. Yes, I know all of that stuff is horrible for you and I can't even recall the last time I ate either of those things but sugar is soo good! Over the past few years I've really cut back my sugar intake which definitely helps in the weight loss department. Still, I refuse to completely give it up because life is too short to deprive yourself of all your guilty pleasures.

Tomorrow is an off day from the gym, but I plan on being back in there on Thursday. By Friday this heat is supposed to let up a little bit which will be a huge relief. Yankees are on the west coast which means I'm up way later than I should be. Hopefully there will be some pictures by the end of the week!
Marisa

2 comments:

  1. Elliptical & treadmill = good!! Getting that cardio going...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John! Trying to make you proud!

    ReplyDelete