Thursday, October 14, 2010

No Pain No Gain?

 Sorry for the delay in posts but things have been pretty crazy. Flu shot season is in full swing & it just seems like there aren't enough hours in the day to get stuff done. Add school into that and I'm completely spent. On a happy note, the Yankees have advanced to the second round of the playoffs & start off the ALCS tomorrow night in Texas! I <3 October baseball.

The past two days I've felt exceptionally cranky... Yesterday I left the house at 7:30am--we had a full schedule at work and I was trying to accomplish about 5 different things at once. When I finally got to my desk, I realized I was going to have to bill out 94 people without any papers to go off of (we were trying an experiment of using the sheets in the computer for billing as opposed to the paper ones... with 94 patients that's nearly impossible). I left for school at 5 and had a lovely finance midterm to take. My entire body hurt from the workout I did Tuesday and I had to sit in a desk made for a high school freshman for over 2 hours and take the most ridiculous midterm ever. 2 hours wasn't enough time and I felt like I was speeding through it trying to finish the questions. Got detoured on the way home (stupid road pavers) so I pulled into my garage at 8:47 pm.  UGH. All I wanted was a stack of pancakes to ease my woes, but alas I had a bowl of oatmeal instead. Oatmeal and I have a very close relationship these days, but I'm at the point that I'd prefer to throw it across the kitchen instead of eat it. Today was equally as crazy, but without the midterm, but a visit to Happy Hour with Michelle definitely made it better :)

Last week kicked off my new work out program and Tuesday night was part 2 of the new workout regime.  I happen to enjoy a full body work out, but when I say lifting my arms to put my hair in a pony tail right now is painful I kid you not. 3 sets of squats & rows (15 reps), step ups on a bench one leg and shoulder press with 10 lb. weight 3 sets (15, 12, 12), 3 sets of dead lifts with a 15 lb. barbel (15 reps), and then 3 sets of lunges with a 10 lb. press (15 reps). I was sweating like a whore in church and with almost no recovery time I'm not really sure how I made it through that. I'm trying to be open minded... new gym, new work out programs and the trainer they paired me up with is nice & definitely knows his stuff... but I have to be honest, I wanted to scream "SLOW DOWN!" but I figured yelling at someone that hasn't known me for more than a week would probably not be a good idea.

I really think the number of reps is what did me in. The exercises were good, but when you're doing single leg and single arm and you have to do 15 reps on EACH side it becomes tiring pretty fast. All you crazy weight lifting people can stop laughing at me now. I enjoy weight lifting a lot, but all those reps and all the pressure on my knee not good times. Most guys I know don't do THAT many leg exercises and they don't have to sit to pee. Needless to say I had some bonding time with an ice pack when I got home.

Today I went back to the gym...but there was no way I could do all that lifting again so I settled for some time on the treadmill. 12 minutes and for the first time I did 5 intervals (30 second running) and the rest I was walking at a max of 6 degrees on the incline. I burned 108 calories and then did some ab work before calling it a night. Hopefully tomorrow I'm not as sore and can get another lifting routine in. Food has been good... definitely not feeling as hungry as often which is always a good thing. Still thinking about those pancakes... such quality late night food.

All I can take from that pain and sweat is that soon enough I'll start to see some results. They just showed a commercial for pancakes... that's just the universe laughing at me again. So ready for the weekend. Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment