Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Here I Go Again...

Let me start off this blog by welcoming home one of my best friends from his five long months at Navy boot camp & electrician training!! So proud of you Danny & even better to have you home even if it is for a short stay!

Also, a big congratulations to my friend and co-worker Lauren and her husband John and their new addition...the adorable Braeden! I look forward to the pictures of the little guy every day. It really is amazing how a baby can just brighten your day.

Okay, so now down to business. I've been getting tons of suggestions from all the way down in the caribbean to right here at home about what I can do to lose the weight I need to lose. I appreciate all the advice and tips. Let me be clear. I am not looking for a quick fix. This is a LIFESTYLE. Yes, I seem to have lost my way a bit over the past several months, but I haven't veered off track completely and I can get back to where I need to be. I am aware that eating less is a way to lose weight, but I am not a believer in just eating a piece of fruit for breakfast and a yogurt for lunch. When your body goes into starvation mode and yes, for most people who eat that way that's what happens, your metabolism shuts down and stops burning fat. I don't need my metabolism to be slowed down any more than it already is.

I may work in an office, but I certainly don't sit down ALL day. I'm up and down the stairs several times, reaching and bending for charts so being stationary isn't something that happens for long periods of time. Even when I'm home, I'm up and down the stairs, bustling around the kitchen, cleaning (which you can burn close to 100 calories just by doing moderate housework) so I don't come home and constantly lay around even though I'd like to.

I joined a new gym in town... Retro Fitness and I have to say, it's nice to be in a gym where there are actually people! It's always a little strange going into a new place where you have no idea where anything is or what the general vibe of that place is. Saturday I went in to do a work out which was good. I signed up for the complimentary fitness evaluation that is part of the welcome package they offer. The GM of the trainers was really cool and I like the over view he gave me of what they try to do there. To my complete joy he showed me statistical evidence that shows that doing excessive or primarily cardio for a work out is NOT the way to keep weight off. Weight training and nutrition are the best ways to get rid of unwanted weight with some cardio that requires you to hit your target heart rate. THAT made me feel so much better considering I loathe cardio and love lifting. I'm a little bit out of the loop, but I think this was a really good change for me and in no time I'll be back in the full swing of things. I'll be keeping track of my work outs over the next month so I'm definitely gonna try to post them as a way of keeping track of my progress.

It's time to take back control over my life and my body and considering this former fat girl doesn't want to go back to trying to cover herself up and hiding, change is gonna come. This is my fitness icon...yes, it's Jessica Biel (don't laugh) but the girl is toned and slim. She has an athletic yet feminine look to her which is exactly what I want. Her body is killer in "Blade Trinity" so that will be my inspiration.


Got a busy weekend ahead, but I'm looking forward to it. October baseball is on the horizon! Yankees clinched a playoff spot...they're just waiting to see if they win the division or the wild card. I'm crossing my fingers for the division. Maybe by then, the pitching staff will have sorted themselves out and if Girardi knows anything he will NOT start AJ Burnett in the division. Him and Vazquez are such a mess I think they must pick up on each other's bad habits.

Look for work out reports next week. I'm officially exhausted so I'm packing it in for the night. Until next time.

Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment