Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Getting It Done...

It's been a little while since I've posted so I figured now was a good time. Work has been absolutely insane & as my responsibilities grow every day, I know it's only going to get more and more crazy. I also started school again last week so adding classes to my craziness is sure to be a fun time.

So last week was supposed to be weigh in and then we got hit with a nasty snow/ice storm so Joe had to cancel, which I was completely bummed about because I was SO ready for it. I decided that I would just weigh myself when I went to the gym and then Joe could just do my measurements the following week. Well, I sent myself into a panic because it appeared that the number stayed the same from the previous month. Naturally, I flipped out. I couldn't believe there was NO change... my clothes are big on me and I can feel the difference so how is it possible my weight didn't go down?

Yes, I realize that muscle weighs more than fat, but I couldn't help but be obsessed with the number. What is it about the number that gets us all into a tizzy? Society seems to be a fan of people who are smaller sizes etc and that gets into all of our heads. Especially if you're someone who has battled their weight... the numbers basically rule your life. It's borderline crazy, but if you've been there you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I spent the rest of the week really watching everything & I went to the gym almost every day. So today was the day of truth... Here are the results:

Weight: 154.5
Body fat: 27.6% (28)
Hips: 41 1/4 (41 1/2)
Thigh: 21 1/2 (21 3/4)
Waist: 31 1/2 (32 1/2)
Shoulders: 39 1/2 (40)
Bicep: 11 (11)

WAHOO!! In 3 months time I'm down 13 pounds, lost a total of almost 7 inches, and dropped my body fat 8%! Apparently all that chicken and veggies are paying off! Not to mention all those awful cardio sessions! Joe talked to me about my food to see if I've really changed anything in the past month, and I really haven't. He is concerned that I am not eating enough calories in a day. He is probably right... actually I know that he is right, I don't eat enough in a day.

I'm not fool enough to think that you can consume a whole bunch of extra calories and expect to just lose weight, but I do know that when you're weight training you have to feed your muscles and I'm definitely not doing that as often as I should. So I have to keep a food journal for 2-3 days and then Joe will come up with some ways to interject a couple hundred extra calories in a healthy way. I have to get past the number obsession and realize that as long as my measurements and my body fat continue to drop, then if my overall weight isn't quite as low as I would prefer, I'm still getting the job done.

I have been ordered not to work out until next Tuesday as part of the rest my body so I don't hit a plateau  and so I don't feel like I've been hit by a truck on a daily basis. I do feel kind of guilty about not working out for a week, but Joe insisted it has to be done.  Maybe it really will do me some good.

I'm feeling really focused, which is a good thing & I've got my goal in sight. Jessica Biel body here I come!
Until next time... 
Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment